Max Verstappen – 10 things you may not know about the Dutch F1 Champion!
1. Max Verstappen was born September 30th 1997 in Hasselt, Belgium.
2. His father, Jos Verstappen was a Dutch race car driver and his mother, Sophie Kumpen was a Belgian race car driver.
3. In 2015, aged 17 years, at the Australian Grand Prix, Max Verstappen became the youngest driver to compete in Formula One.
4. In the Netherlands, you can get a driving license from the age of 18 years meaning he started competing in Formula One before driving a car on the streets.
5. At the age of 18, he became the youngest driver to win a Formula One Grand Prix
6. The day after his 18th birthday, after obtaining his drivers license, Max Verstappen moved to Monaco.
7. In November 2020, Verstappen bought a Dassault Falcon 900EX aircraft from Virgin Galactic.
8. Max Verstappen is the first Dutch driver to win a Formula One Championship (2021)
9. He started his Formula One career in the Scuderia Toro Rosso in 2014 and got his full-time seat with the team in 2015. He remained with the team until 2016
BONUS: The word “Scuderia” which is common in racing teams such as Scuderia Ferrari or Scuderia AlphaTauri means “stable” in Italian as in a stable for horses.
10. Verstappen was called to replace RedBull driver Daniil Kvyat starting from the Spanish Grand Prix. According to Team Principal RedBull, Christian Horner; “Max has proven to be an outstanding young talent. His performance at Toro Rosso has been impressive so far and we are pleased to give him the opportunity to drive for RedBull Racing.